I adore spicy food. Being Asian I often felt out of place at school when other children would have chicken dippers and chips for dinner and I would have aloo gobi and chapatis. I now appreciate curries very much and often find myself craving a good spicy curry.
Whilst curry houses can produce very meals, Mother Somal has taught me how to make authentic curry from scratch. Healthy and super tasty, you really cannot beat it (even if I do say so myself).
The basic recipe for any curry:
- Fry onion, garlic, ginger and finger chillis in oil or butter until brown
- Add a tin of chopped tomatoes
- Add tumeric powder and garam masala, this begins to thicken and is now your curry base
- Add your meat or veg of choice (chicken, cauliflower and potato, chickpeas, aubergine, marrow – curry anything!)
- Cook through, add hot water if the mixture gets too dry and season with salt and additional spices to your taste
- Eat and enjoy